Overview of H4 Visa
Family of (Spouse and unmarried children under 21) of an
holder are eligible to get H-4 visas to live in US. There is no
additional qualification required for H4 visa. The duration of H4 visa
is the same as H1B visa of the principal.
H4 visa holders are not allowed work in US and are also not
eligible to get a
Social Security Number. H1 Visa holders can get drivers license and get
and tax payer id for tax purpose.
H4 visa holders can
apply for other nonimmigrant such as the F-1
(student Visa). H4 Visa applicants can apply for employment, get H1B visa and
legally work in US.
H4 visa can be obtained at local US consulate office
in applicant's home country. If the applicant (H4 Visa applicant) is
already in the US, then H-4 visa can be obtained by filing
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR H4 VISA
- Completed Non-immigration Visa application
- Application visa fee original receipt issued by HDFC bank.
- Copy of interview appointment letter which you got at the time
of setting appointment with VFS.
- I-797 form (H 1B approval notice)
- Letter of employment from the company you work for with stating
your salary. The letter should be on official letterhead
- Past 2 paycheck - This is not required but can help
- A Letter addressing Consulate requesting the visa for your
- Copy of relevant pages of passport : Notarized (Make sure that
you have the copy of the page with current valid visa.)
- Copy of the Marriage certificate : Notarized
- Marriage photographs
- Marriage invitation card
- Bank statement and papers of any other assets such as stocks
- Passport of dependent
If any documents are not in English then get them translated in English
and get them notarized.
Do not give original documents unless they are absolutely required, only
provide copies. However, you should carry original documents with you for
the Visa interview.
Please contact an Immigration Attorney for any specific question or your can
ask on a question on the discussion board on this site.